Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Do you remember Ultima?

Yes Indeed!

Our old friend Ultima makes a return, in the guise of a browser strategy game.

For those who are too young to remember, Ultima was an 80's game that introduced many of the RPG elements that today we take for granted. The game spanned over 10 sequels, all improving upon the original formula. It met great success in the United States, but somewhat of a mixed reaction over here in Europe. Until we heard no more about Ultima or a new sequel for quite a long time.

Electronic Arts, having the IP to this game lying around somewhere in their archives, must have thought that they could make some money out of it, contracted it to a third party who had a finished game already, gave it a new paint job, and here we are with Lord of Ultima.

The first impression is that it looks like any other medieval browser game that I played before. First I am greeted by a good-looking lady who wants to view, ahem, my mighty dominion. She guides me through the tutorial, gives me gifts and leaves me to expand my army and fortune.

So far so good. Lord of Ultima has the looks, and follows the formula of other well-established browser strategy games, but I will reserve my judgement until I have played it for a few more days. So I'll leave you with an image of my humble land of Brittania.


No comments: